The video edit on this clip is pretty good. I suspect they are using ProTools which is pretty expensive and they are pros.
We can achieve the same effect as follows:
- Create a click track on an mp3 file. Sound recorder and a metronome will serve.
- Each musician records the song using whatever they have to create an mp4. A smart phone on a tripod works pretty well. Count the start in 1 2 3 4 to sync the tracks. We cut this out of the final production.
- We pick the most likely version and each listen to it while re-recording our own part.
- The tracks are mixed into a video using LightWorks or ShotCut.
- We could post the individual .mp4s on YouTube so we don’t need to email huge video files.